Thursday, February 14, 2013

4 Step Program

Pusuk tet vuv speaks about 'removing the bad' from the Jews since they were sinning. A process is presented that will help them reach a point where Hashem may want their Karbanot again. First, you must wash, then cleanse yourself, remove the blood, and stop the bad. These all are metaphoric  meaning they have a greater message. 'Washing' is recognizing your sin. To 'cleanse yourself' is to admit what you did and 'removing the bad' is to confess what you did and to feel bad about it. The last step, 'stopping the bad', to vow to never do it again.
While reading this, I kept thinking about the famous '12 Step Program'. A program designed to help people who are addicted to something or disordered. I feel like this program originated from the Torah. It is giving us a mechanism in how to get out of a bad habit or addiction. All four of the steps that the Torah states are things we can use today. If I ever notice a bad habit of mine, I might just refer back to this pusuk and try to resolve it with the tools and tips given by G-d. Who else would give better advise?

1 comment:

  1. If you look closely, you can see that many ideas we accept in society originate from the Torah in some way. It's interesting to see certain things that really are drawn from what is written in the Torah.

    ReplyDelete