We learn in Perek 7 that Achaz was having a struggle with faith. He was an idol worshipper with little belief in G-d and his role in the world. G-d offers to send Achaz a clear sign that shows he is truly the one in control of the world, but Achaz refuses. He doesn't want a sign because then that would mean he'd be responsible for all the mitzvot.
This made we wonder how I would react if this were to (hypothetically) happen to me. You might think Achaz is absolutely ridiculous for refusing a sign from G-d. I mean, after all, we spend our whole lives wondering and struggling with the question of whether G-d is really out there. Would I say yes in an instant? Maybe. Probably. But I do understand where Achaz is coming from. It is a HUGE responsibility to take on all of the mitzvot. If you received a clear sign from G-d that he is the one pulling the sstrings, there is no way you can say "Okay, G-d showed himself to me, but I reaaalllly don't feel like doing all the mitzvot. I don't think he'll mind."
No comments:
Post a Comment