Friday, March 1, 2013

Farming = Peace

 Perek Bet, Pesukim 1-4 again draws on the idea of an ideal society. It speaks of what will happen in the future. It says:
1. All the people in the world (not just Jews) will recognize Hashem and will go to the Beit Hamikdash.
2. Hashem will teach us his ways in Yerushalayim
3. Hashem will judge between the nations and will resolve all conflicts - the weapons of war will become farming instruments and there will be no more fighting.

I want to focus on the 3rd part. It says in Pasuk Daled: "..and they shall beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning hooks."

Is G-d saying that farming symbolizes peace? Is the epitome of peace farming? I mean farming does seem pretty peaceful to me. You wake up at the break of dawn and greet your beloved cow, Bessie. You tend to your crops and watch as your tomatoes grow bigger, riper, redder, every single day. You slave under the hot sun, dripping in your sweat and hard work. What could be better? Look at all these happy farmers:

1 comment:

  1. I like your pictures and your ideas about what G-d is trying to say. It's a great idea that you made by digging deep into the meaning. I really like how you said that farming is a metaphor to peace. This really makes a lot more sense when you are trying to figure out the meaning of the Passuk.

    ReplyDelete