It says in Hezekiah Perek 36 that in part of his message to the people, Ravshakeh questions Hezekiah's faith in G-d. He also asks the people if they think G-d is happy with them for removing the Bamot. He ends by saying that G-d was the one who sent him to come and destroy the nation.
I am confused about this message. Why does Ravshakeh know what goes on with the nation religiously? He is Assyrian and obviously shouldn't believe in the one and only God, and should not be involved with the Jews' religious issues. You wouldn't find this part of the story in history books. Also, shouldn't it seem odd to the Jews that this outsiders comes into the nation and has all of this knowledge of G-d and what he wants? If it were me listening to this message I couldn't help but be skeptical. It just doesn't add up.
I wouldn't be skeptical because I am gullible and when I am in a rough path and someone tells me about this great place I would pack up my bags and move! Especially when they are saying they are going to attack! Can't beat them? Join 'em!
ReplyDeleteI never really thought of it this way - very insightful! Great job, lil.
ReplyDelete